| Max and Bella coloring while I read aloud from The Story of the World. |
| Sigh...just one of the things little monkey does during school! |
We are well into our new school year and it is going well! We turned the dining room into the school room and that has been a huge, helpful change. Everything has a place and we have lots of room to learn! We still spend time on the couch, at the kitchen table, and outside but it is nice to have a space for all the school stuff. I am spending a little time each week organizing and planning and it makes a big difference in our school(shocking, right?:0)! Max is happy and just seems more settled. We love our sweet Bella but she is the monkey wrench in our school day! She is a climber and into every drawer she can reach! We include her as much as we can and then rely on "Uhba" (Elmo) and "Mouse" (Mickey Mouse) shows to get us through the rest!
Here's what we are doing this year:
Veritas Press Phonics Museum First Grade along with lots of reading and word sorts
Saxon Math 2
Shurley Grammar 1
Geography: US States/Capitals and Europe(with CC) Max loves this by the way!Bible: We are reading the New Testament and Max is in Awanas
Classical Conversations: This covers History, Bible, Math, English Grammar, Science, Latin, Geography, Music, and Art. In addition Max has to do a presentation each week. Last year it was mostly Show and Tell but this year it is more structured and will involve some prep work! We work everyday on memory work from CC and I plan reading and activities to help Max learn more about what he is memorizing.
PE and Swimming Lessons
August was a struggle for me for many reasons and I was not at all motivated for the coming year. When I found 2 Corinthians 9:8 I knew that it was the perfect verse for us!
God is able to make every GRACE OVERFLOW to you
so that in every way, having everything you need you may
EXCEL in every good work.
This verse is for me when I am tired and anxious and doubting what we are trying to do. I know that being Wife, Mommy, and Teacher are the "good work" that God has planned for me right now and even though it is sometimes hard and overwhelming, He promises to give me everything I need to not only complete the task but EXCEL at it!
This verse is for Lee as he leads our family and especially for those moments when his wife calls in a panic because she can't teach math and make sure Bella isn't on the computer desk pulling the paper out of the printer! (And let's be honest.... panic is probably a nicer word than his wife deserves :0)
This verse is for Max when he struggles with obedience and when he thinks things are too hard. We talked about how obedience and school are the "good work" that God has for him and we have prayed it together over the last few weeks.
And we see what God is doing in our hearts, in our school day, and in our family life and we are very thankful for His OVERFLOWING GRACE!!

No comments:
Post a Comment