Yesterday was our first day back to Classical Conversations since the first session ended right before Thanksgiving. It was also our first day out of our jammies in 3 days. :)
The first thing we do at CC is meet together for a devotional, a presentation, and announcements. Yesterday's devotion was about seeking God and His Word when you feel worried and stressed and one of the verses shared was Psalm 4:8:
"In Peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
As the verse was being read Max looked up at me with a huge smile on his face and he whispered, "We know that verse." And then, much to my surprise and embarrassment, he jumped up out of his seat and yelled "I love that verse!".
I kinda wanted to crawl under the seats.
Everyone laughed and we moved on with the morning. But here's the thing, that wasn't my silly five-year-old trying to be funny and get attention. That was my silly, impetuous five-year-old shouting for joy his love of God's Word.
You see Max really does know and love that verse. A few years ago he was having a great deal of fear at night. I found Psalm 4:8 and wrote it on a big piece of paper and hung it on the wall of his room. Every night since then we read that verse together before he goes to bed and when he would wake up afraid we would read it again and pray it with him. It is one of the first verses he memorized. That verse gives him peace and comfort, it reminds him that God is always with him, it truly does have meaning and importance in his life and in his heart.
Isn't that what we pray for our children? That they would hide God's Word in their hearts and remember it when they need it? That they would find comfort and joy in His Words-joy so full that they leap and shout about it?
I am still a little embarrassed at Max's outburst but I am also convicted that I don't get excited enough about God's word and His work in my life. Lee and I are praying that we would have Max's boldness and excitement about Jesus and praying that Max would never lose his passion for God and his Word.


4 comments:
You know Jenny I think that was a huge encouragement to many! For me,it brought tears to my eyes - in fact I was crying reading this. Jenny that was one of the most beautiful things I have heard in a long time! I am so glad I was there to see it.
This is why we do what we do! All that we do as moms is worthless if they don't love the Lord! And your son loves the Lord with his whole heart! No matter how embarassing it may have felt in that moment know that it touched me and others.
And you know God was smiling down too!
So sweet!
I love this, Jenny. Such an encouragement when the truth starts soaking in all the way to their tender hearts! I'm so glad you shared this! :)
That is precious Jenny!!
Post a Comment